Sarah Heinz House, One Heinz St, Pittsburgh, PA 15212
- When: May 4th, 2013
- Middle School (NXT) and High School (VEX) competitions
- Alice 2 storytelling and animation competition
- Robot Parade
This year’s Middle School competition will feature a Foam Disc theme.
The competition will start about 9am with the intent to be done around noon.
The competition will be filled on a first-come-first-serve basis. Teams can register by emailing Christine Nguyen at firstname.lastname@example.org. When you register please provide the following information:
- School/Organization Name
- Phone Number
- Approx. # of team members
Registration begins March 15th, 2013 and will end when slots are filled. We can have a maximum of 24 middle school teams at the competition. Schools or Organizations that wish to enter two teams will have their second team placed on a waiting list until the end of registration to ensure that more schools have the opportunity to compete. While this is a free competition please note that in the past we have had teams sign up to compete and then not show up on the day of the competition. Please realize that upon signing up to compete that you are not only taking up a spot at the competition, but also providing a competitor for other teams.
Questions about any of the May Madness events should be posted here:
Middle School Game:
The Middle School game features the use of foam discs which can be “shot out” or “thrown”. You decide what the best strategy is!
Here are the files you need to build the board and learn about the rules:
- Game Rules and slideshow (Powerpoint)
- UPDATED on April 29th, 2013 to clarify the distance the “tissue boxes” are from the side. It’s 9″ not 9.5″ on slide 6.
- UPDATED on April 1st, 2013 @ 4:30PM to correct slide 7 to show the black lines that extend out toward the dowel rods.
- UPDATED on March 25th, 2013 @ 9:30AM to correct the “line tracking” dimension between the 2×4 barrier and the line. The correct measurement is 7″ not 8″.
- UPDATED on March 22nd, 2013 @ 10AM to add Materials list, correct tissue box sizes, clarify tissue box placement, updated labels to make items clearer, add images for dowel rod holders (Thanks to Anthony Pane for idea and images!), and link to buy dowel rods.
- UPDATED on March 20th, 2013 @ 2PM to add more dimensions for the 2×4 with the slots, and also dimensions for the coffee can.
- UPDATED on March 19th, 2013 @ 9:00AM to add dimensions for foam disc and also link to order foam disc, and picture of “what the green line is”.
- Rules Document (Word Doc)
Please check back regularly as we may update the rules and powerpoint!
High School Game:
The High School game will be a scrimmage for this year’s VEX Competition – Sack Attack.
This is a fun-filled activity that involves putting together the most creative robot. The robot must be able to follow a line, while not bumping into the robot in front of you. The robot must not be bigger than a 10″x10″ area. We encourage this activity for anyone interested in being creative with their robot. This is supposed to be a low-stress fun activity, so have fun with it!
The Alice Competition will be “Energy Boss”, and is hosted by the Computer Science Student Network (CS2N).
Create an animated story or game using Alice 2 to explain how you would manage the world’s energy! Make sure you explain why the world should follow your plans – use support from your research to back up your ideas!
It’s your energy - it’s your rules!
You will be asked to bring your animation to Sarah Heinz House to be judged. We will provide a laptop if you do not have one to use to show.
Planning and Building Gallery:
Written by Vu Nguyen
March 15th, 2013 at 5:36 pm